Tuesday, March 11, 2008

THIRTY, FLIRTY, and THRIVING?

Call it an early mid-life crisis. Maybe it's just the words from one of my all time favorite movies "13 GOING ON 30" haunting me, you know, the one she repeats over and over again; "THIRTY, FLIRTY and THRIVING!" Who knows? But lately, I have been on a serious mission to update my make-up. I've tried lots- MaryKay, Sheer Cover (yes I'm a sucker for infomercials), I've been the M.A.C counter more than once, bought some foundation from Lancome and just finished up with a fabulous presentation by Arbonne (whose cleansing line I LOVED but just can't afford :). I've learned lots of tips and tricks some of which I am a believer in and some... well, not so much. Maybe I'm too unrealistic. I want to look like a movie star but don't want to look made-over. I want to look polished but still need a low maintenance routine. I want glamour but not five inches of make-up on. I want fabulous eyes but need a make-up artist to apply it for me each morning. IS THIS TOO MUCH TO ASK? (I know, I know).

So here is my plea for help. What are your "must have" products? What are your tips and tricks? Just to be fair I'll share a few of my own...

1) WHITE EYELINER - According to my M.A.C. consultant this is one of her two "must haves"and I have to say I agree. You just put it along the lower tear duct line and it instantly brightens and widens any eye.

2) CONCEALER - her second "must have". Using a concealer at least one shade lighter than your foundation you apply under your eye starting about half way and going inward toward your nose. Continue up and around your inner eye creating a moon shape.









3) PINK SHIMMER- This is actually one of my favorites tips! Take a really light shimmer pink (eye shadow or blush works) and apply in a small circular motion to bone right under your eye extending outward. It gives you a fresh bright look!

So there you have it. Now really, any and all help would be appreciated. What are your favorite products and why? Any tips or tricks? I swear I have spent a small fortune trying to find the perfect mascara and eye colors so any help there would also be greatly appreciated.

4 comments:

Tara Williams said...

I've got to say that my "must have" is my Mary Kay Microdermabrasion Set. I LOVE IT!!!
It buffs away my icky, winter-dry-skin patches and makes my makeup go on super smooth. It also makes it easier for me to get rid of icky black-heads (ewwe gross!!) I also love concealer!!! It makes a rough, 3-hour-sleep night look like 8-hour-sleep night.

Tara said...

I too want a makeup artist to be at my beck and call so I can feel glamorous. I am such a sucker though for great skin care. Love the Arbonneso much.

BigEd said...

As you know, I am no expert. However, of our Young Women's activities involved one of the leaders, who used to work at modeling agencies, doing a makeover and photo shoot for the girls. Here are a couple of her MUST HAVES: Wet & Wild lip liner #666 (I know), and yes, it is for just about everyone. Okay, that's really all I remember.

Larsen's! said...

ok..Mary Kay's soothing eye gel (cold) is great on the eyes after little sleep and to sooth puffiness! Love it! Also, Mary Kay Eye Primer. I swear by this because it seals your eye so that your shadow and liner doesn't smudge or smear or melt off...believe me in this humdity - it works! I still look like my eyes are on in the middle of the afternoon. My favorite Mac concealer is the one in the tube that winds up like a lipstick. I don't even have to touch it I just rub it in place and then dab it with my finger. Love it! Now, my new favorite thing I found while on a trip with my partner Andria. It is called Secret Brightening Powder by Laura Mercier. It is a white illuminating powder (similar to the white eyeliner). You use a tiny bit with a small powder brush after you've done your eyes to brighten them. It really helped while we were doing late nights and working all day at the trade show! And my favorite foundation now is Arbonne mineral powder. I haven't used liquid foundation for 2 yrs. Love the sheer but complete finish this gives. It just looks smooth and pretty. Those are all the latest tips I can give. Except for one more...I've had problems with the powder shadows cuz my eyes are so sensitive. I'm now using the paint pot colors by MAC. Love them and I get tons of compliments on my eyes. Not as many color choices, but have bought some basics and they work for most all looks!