Sunday, March 2, 2008

Wise beyond her years

It's hard to imagine that this cute little toddler is now my "grown up" six year old. Hallee is wise beyond her years and often teaches ME with her grace and kindness. I think I take her for granted sometimes because she is SO willing to do any and everything I ask her. I chuckled the other day when I sat peacefully eating my lunch while she fed Caymbree her sweet potatoes. (Hallee did ask to feed her.) I guess I pushed her over her limit a few days ago because she finally looked at me and said, "MOM! Do you have any idea how frustrating it is when you ask me to do ten things at once! I only have so many hands ya know." Whoops.

Her sweet innocence is priceless. Her little friend was here the other morning while she was getting ready and the conversation went something like this....
H: "Do you have any freckles?"
Friend: "No."
H: "Ya, know that freckles are really angel kisses."
F: "Really? Looking at me for a real answer.
H: "Don't feel bad that you don't have any. You have guitar hero. I have freckles. Some people just get different things."

She puts others above herself. While trying to decide the sleeping arrangements at Bear Lake Hallee whispered that she was worried about sleeping in the same room with her sister and cousin because they would keep her up all night (which indeed they would.) I agreed and told her she could sleep out in the living room. When she noticed the disappointment and tears on her cousin she quickly agreed to sleep on the floor just to keep everyone happy. However, the arrangements had already been made and I let her off the hook so she could sleep out in the other room. The poor girl fretted and stewed about it for the next fifteen minutes. She was so worried that her cousin would be sad or disappointed and even asked me "Mom? Do you think Jesus is disappointed with this decision?"

What ever did I do to deserve this sweet little girl?

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, what a little angle Hallee is!!! I can't say I am surprised cause I have known this since she was born.

Josie said...

Wow. We love little Hallee so much. She truly is one of the sweetest little girls I've ever known. I just read this to Tob and he said the same thing I was thinking...we hope Elle can be just like Hallee when she grows up.

Kelli said...

She sounds like such a sweetheart. I love the freckle conversation. So cute. I just wish they would stay little. They grow up way too fast.

JLJ said...

What a good little girl. She's absolutely right, we all get different things.

BigEd said...

Clearly you are doing something right. What an angel.

Adree said...

I'll trade anytime you need a good dose of a rought, tough, 3 yr old cowgirl.

Brittney said...

reading that makes me a little teary-eyed. really. tender little kids.

Brooke said...

I love this. I seriously love the Guitar Hero part. It's a funny story, but also says so much about how well you have taught her and what a good mindset she has. Love that girl.