Monday, September 17, 2007

LESSONS LEARNED

It was bound to happen. Every morning while I am getting ready Hope comes in and pretends like she is going to touch my curling iron and every morning I tell her that she is going to get burned. She has even gone as far as touching the handle or cord and then looking at me with those "whatcha-gonna-do-about-it" eyes. So this morning while I was in the other room getting a bow for her hair - she finally pushed it just a little too far. You would expect a breakdown, a scream, a terrified look or something but her pride just wouldn't let her do it. She calmly walked around the corner and said, "mom, I hurt my finger...i need a bandaid." When I asked her how she did it, her eyes started to fill up with tears and she shrugged her shoulders. I looked down at her little red finger and I could feel the heat coming off of her skin. The tears started to flow when I asked her if she touched the curling iron. Finally, reluctantly, she said yes. With Hope, lessons learned will come the hard way. Hopefully, tomorrow she will think a little harder about pushing the limits....but then again, maybe not.

No comments: