Sunday, January 10, 2010

Hallee and the big 8

HAPPY 8th BIRTHDAY HALLEE!!

MONUMENTAL. amazing. WONDERFUL. surreal. POWERFUL
All words that describe Hallee's baptism last week. How is it possible that my baby is EIGHT YEARS OLD??? Does that mean I am getting old? Have we taught her what she needs to know in order for her to be prepared for such a big decision? Does she understand the covenants she is about to make? It's a whirlwind of emotions.
It was such a wonderful day and we were surrounded by lots of our family and friends. The night before I was all excited and gitty and was singing "Hallee's getting baptized in the morning..." Hallee's response; "Mom, please don't make a production out of this." So me. So Hallee.
After the baptism we came back to the house for lunch. Troy and I also gave her this book that I have been working on for a few months. About six months ago I started asking family and friends to write Hallee a letter based on the concept "Our hopes and dreams for Hallee." I compiled their pictures and letters and made it into a Shutterfly book.
We had a crazy few days after the baptism so Monday night was the first quiet moment she had to really start to read it. I tucked her in bed and then went into do the same with the other two girls. When I walked back into her room I found her with tears streaming down her face. I asked her what was wrong and she said, "nothing. Just a lot of people really love me and think I am pretty special." It was one of those moments as a mother that I wish I could freeze and preserve forever. I laid on her bed with her as she continued to read and the tears flowed freely. Thank you to all of you who said such kind words! I know she will always treasure this book!
Following the baptism we headed up to Classic Skating to celebrate her birthday with all the cousins. They had SOOOOO much fun and I think my kids think it is every bit as cool as Disneyland (at a tenth of the cost :)).
On the actual day of her birthday Troy and I took her out on a date night. We went to Red Robin to eat, then to a movie and a little shopping at Walmart afterwards.
We had so much fun with her and it was just one more confirmation that she is growing up.

Check out that chocolate ice cream cake! I think it was bigger than her!

7 comments:

The McGraths said...

Hi Jami, It's Cindi McGrath Julie's friend. I forgot that Julie had asked you to invite me to your blog like a year ago so I cruised over today to get some of your CLEVER ideas!!! I got all choked up reading about this book you put together for her. What a wonderful treasure for her!!! (which I am SURE to copy)

Of course, Julie was right about your cleverness... You are just as talented as your MOM!!!

Tara Williams said...

Yay!! Congratulations Hallee!!! I am so proud of you! Even though I am so far away, I think about and pray for you all the time. You are truly such a special girl with a heart as big as the whole world! Brooklynn misses you and says "hi" and says she can't wait until she can be baptised like you. :) Love you!!

JLJ said...

Beautiful pictures! I love her dress. And your coat. I can't wait to live in cooler temps to wear cute stuff like that. As I was reading your lovely post I was kind of thinking in the back of my head something like this, "Wow, Jamie has a daughter getting baptized. Good thing Hallee is so much older than #1. I've got a long time before I have to start worrying about this stuff...... oh my gosh! It is not that long!!!"

Brooke said...

Jami! You have been so busy, and have had so many wonderful things happening. I can't believe Hallee is 8, and baptized... How amazing. Congratulations, and by the way, I'm totally copying your book idea for Bennett.

Also- I wanted to tell you that we switched the boys rooms all around, so now the big boys are in the basement. Anyway, we found the framed picture of Bennett and Hallee out on your hammock when they were like 2 years old, and he has it out on display. I thought it was so cute, but it made me sad that we never ever see you guys. I'm glad you are doing so well. Love you tons!

Heather said...

Happy Birthday!! I love the book you made for her! That is something she will always be able to look back at and treasure!! I love the pictures you had taken of her in her dress at the temple:)

smithfamilymoments said...

It sounds like a perfect week of celebrating! She looks so beautiful in her baptism pictures. I really cannot believe that our babies are 8 mine is almost there.It makes me super sentimental. Cute cute book. I think I am going to have to steel the concept too. Glad everything turned out so well!

Unknown said...

Note to Hallee's parents... I don't know where to begin, but as one of Hallee's Grandmas, I gotta say you have done a wonderful job with your sweet little family. I know it has not been easy, but somehow you make it look effortless. I am very proud of Hallee and look forward to Brooklynn's baptism next. Thank you for the hospitality. I had a blast sleeping over and was sad to leave.