Sunday, June 19, 2011

Empty Nesters

Well....it happened. We are officially EMPTY NESTER'S! The birds flew the coop but it wasn't without a little drama. Caymbree and I went to check on the birds. We carefully opened the window and got quite the surprise when all four little birds took one look at us and took off in flight. Unfortunately, it was bad timing. Really bad timing. We were in the middle of a huge wind storm and the birds could barely make it to the sidewalk. The wind was blowing them all over the place.

It didn't take long to realize that they had no chance making it back up to the nest. We ran outside to try and usher them to safety and ended up with one little birdie in the middle of the road. The kids were terrified that it was going to be hit by a car and I was horrified of having to deal with the aftermath. It took a little while but we finally got the bird across the road where it was greeted by it's anxious mother.

THE RESCUE MISSION

You'd think the story ends there. Ya right. Later that night as we backed out of the driveway headed to a BBQ we saw one of the babies next to our house. The wind was still crazy and I knew it had no chance of getting back into the nest. Then Troy sealed the deal when he reminded me that neighbors cat would have one heck of a meal tonight. That did it. I did what any kind, loving, slightly crazy person would do and we began the rescue mission. Troy ushered the little fella into a box where he would be safely protected until we got back home. At 10pm Operation-back-in-the-nest began. Not as easy as it sounds and to make a long story short instead of landing in the nest it took flight never to be seen again.


I know you all think I've lost it. And I probably have. It was just such an amazing experience to watch this cycle of life take place right before our eyes. Goodbye birdies. We will miss you!

3 comments:

smithfamilymoments said...

Jaime what a cute story! I can totally relate. We have anxiously waited for weeks for some little birds to hatch in our neighbors front yard. They finally did and happily made their new home in the empty field next to our house. I was horrified when I realized that they made it right in the middle of a four wheeler trail. That was used very frequently. Me being a little over protective and a bit crazy too, made a huge cardboard sign that said, "caution, baby birds. Please do not ride four wheelers here." I'm sure my neighbors thought I was nuts. Oh well! Thanks for sharing your cute story!

JLJ said...

I don't know why we humans can't just let nature take it's course. Our family got caught up in the drama of a family of baby ducks on the canal behind our home. It went on for 2 months! And there was some serious drama including a ruthless gang of bully ducks, a faked pregnancy by a neighboring mother (just to get our bread!) and the tragic loss of life for some of our beloved duckies. At first I was concerned because of what my kids were experiencing and then I realized that I was the one most emotionally involved. Next time I see a baby bird I'm going to seal my heart up tight and force myself not to care!

The Lively's said...

So that is what I am going to call you know the crazy bird lady! :) just kidding! I would have done the same thing...well......Maybe! LOL! Cute Story Anyhoo you crazy bird lady ; ) !