Friday, May 22, 2009

School Days


So I have been doing a lot of substitute teaching lately. Interesting Job. And in the process I have discovered a magnificent way to improve our school systems. I think every parent should legally be required to be a sub at least once a year. I'm not joking. Parents need to see first hand what teachers do and more importantly what they put up with each and every day. It would give parents a whole new appreciation for teachers.

I have also noticed that in every classroom regardless of age there seems to be the same array of personalities. I often think about my own children and sometimes smile, sometimes grimace as I realize what category THEY would fall in to. Then I think about myself in school and which one I fell into to. (Again sometimes smiling, other times grimacing). So here is my breakdown. Anyone brave enough to disclose which one YOU were in school??

Brown-noser: Does anything to please, always right in your space asking for attention
Brat Face: Typically girls, constantly rolling their eyes at each and everything you say.
Tattle-tale: Oh, yes happens at all ages. Constantly surveying the room for anyone to tell on.
Whiner: Whines about everything!!!
Jokester: Wants to be the center of attention. Does not know when it's appropriate and when it's not.
Needy: Regardless of task they need your attention, approval, and recognition.
Cop: The one who is constantly on everyone's case
Recluse: Never makes eye contact. Keeps to themself. Does not want to engage in anything or with anyone.

And then there are those precious few:
Everybody's Friend: Say's hello to everyone who walks in the door. Constantly pays compliments to others.
On task: They come in , they do their work and they do it well. No fanfare. Just gets it done.
Trustworthy: You know you can ask them a question about how things are done and they will give you the honest answer.

There are always a few of them in every classroom. The problem is sometimes it gets too crazy to even notice them. I try to find them. I really do. And when I do I always pull them aside after class and let them know what a great kid I think they are. My favorite is in the middle schools and high schools. Truly class acts. Especially when they are boys. I was about brought to tears last week when I watched a cute, "popular" BOY readily give out sincere compliments to each and everyone he interacted with. It was amazing!

I come home everyday drilling Hallee about what kind of a student she is. Do you whine? Do you tattle-tale? Are you a good friend? And then the lecture begins as I "teach" her and Hope about what kind of student I want them to be. I hope they have a good attitude and take care of themselves. I hope they stay on task and are honest and responsible. And I pray that they are the type of person who builds up everyone around them. Probably a lot to ask considering that I was not always that kind of student myself. I guess I can only hope.

PS. Send a teacher a thank you note and treat today. They deserve it!!!

11 comments:

Tristen said...

Great idea Jami. I agree that teachers are completely undervalued. Now if only we could get the rest of our country to realize that.

Joni said...

Oh my gosh, Jami. I totally agree with you on all of that, especially having parents sub for at least a day. I always loved hearing parents talk about how easy teachers had it and they gave out tons of homework because they had nothing better to do. I still hear comments like that. And the best is when parents honestly think that they can do better than the educated, trained teacher...all with a class of 30 students! (I have a neighbor that says that all the time...I want to call her into primary to give her that chance.)
As for what kind of student I was, not to "brag" but I was the trustworthy and on-task kind. Seriously. I didn't dare do all the other stuff. Jeff was the class-clown and I always so what kind of trouble he got into, so I didn't want that. LOL!

BigEd said...

What a great reminder, not only of how we should treat teachers, but also how we treat others. Too bad I learned some of those lessons too late.

Tara said...

What a great post in honor of our school teachers. You have got a lot of love and patience I admire you for that.. I think I was the shy one that tried to go un noticed.

Jenn said...

I think more parents need to read your post. My dad taught Jr. HIgh for 30 years. (bless his heart) and it drives me crazy when I hear parents complaining about the teachers their kids have. I think teachers should get a medal for just dealing with snot nosed kids in the first place.

I can't decide which student I was. I want to say I was On task, but I think I would've been more of a Brat Face...:)

Amanda said...

I loved this post. I haven't ever taught school, but I have taught many dance classes. I remember seeing all of those personalities in my classes. It is funny how different each child is. I bet you are a wonderful teacher. Thanks for the inspiration. When Zak starts school I will remember to thank his teachers often. Thanks again.

394bull said...

These kids are so lucky to have you as a teacher. It is obviously not 'just a job'. If kudo's to teachers will make them tolerant, understanding, talented, and better people builders, then lets dream up another periodic recognition program in each district, school, etc..

Tom Hodges

Kelli said...

I think being a substitute teacher would be a very hard job. Don't know if I could do it! So good job on that one! My mom teaches kindergarten so I hear her side all the time and I totally agree with you. Teachers deserve so much more than they get.

And so true on all the different types of personalities kids have! I was picking out what I thought my kids were-one would be on task, one would be the class clown who doesn't know when to quit and I'm still undecided on my little one. I'm pretty sure I was the brat face. Anyway...that was fun to read!

JLJ said...

Hmmm. My classroom personality (unfortunately) probably would have been different in every class depending on the types of other kids and teacher. For several years I was the recluse. I hope at least sometimes I would be the 'on task' type. Sadly I was probably a combination of the first 7 types more often than not. Poor teachers. I love the idea of having parents sub. Some schools here require 12 hours of parent classroom work per year. Not a ton, but enough for parents to see how challenging a job it really is.

Josie said...

I think I fit into a few of those catergories. I think the same thing about Elle every day! How badly I want her to be a good student and more importantly a good friend. I'm not too worried about your girls, with the mother they have.

Mrs. Budge said...

Great post! I am laughing because it is so true!! So are you ready to jump back in to public education yet :-)?