Wednesday, May 6, 2009

In Loving Memory

Bunny Stinker passed away on Sunday, May 3rd due to unknown complications. He lived a short but adventurous life full of trips down the slide, walks to the park, jumps on the trampoline and rides in the bucket of Caymbree's car/stroller. He is survived by his loyal friend and companion Diamond Lesha as well as his three greatest fans; Hallee, Hope and Caymbree. Burial services took place later that evening at the Hodges residence.



Ok. So really - it didn't go down quite so peacefully. The girls and I were in Logan all weekend while I was judging a dance competition. We pulled into the garage Sunday morning and the girls were eager to see the bunnies. I got to them first and saw Diamond Lesha resting her chin and paws on Stinker and of course I say "Oh, that is so sweet!" Then I realize that Stinker is not moving and my heart sinks and I have to start fighting off the tears. And then the girls realized what was going on and the flood gates opened. Hope didn't believe it and kept asking Troy to hold it. We took the girls inside and then watched in anguish as they fell apart. Hope took it the hardest and it was hard to get her over it. She just kept saying , "I didn't want Stinker to live with President Hinkley." Funny that was her first thought.



We finally got them composed and I sent them to church with Troy so I could finish getting ready. I was worried about Hope getting to primary and falling apart but Troy knew she was fine when she walked into church, saw one of my friends and announced "Stinker died. My dad put him in a box. Do you want to come see him?"


I felt like my emotions were right at the surface partly due to an insane weekend of a 14 hour judging day on Friday, five hours of sleep, and then a 13 hour judging day on Saturday with another extremely late night. So I guess I shouldn't be surprised that when I walked into Relief Society saw all my friends who started apologizing for the loss of Stinker that I easily caved and had an emotional meltdown right there in the middle of RS. Lovely. And on top of that, most people probably think I was in pretty extreme mourning over the loss of a BUNNY! (Although I will miss the cute little thing :).
Now I hold my breath each morning as we walk out to where the cage is. I have tried prepping the girls that it might happen to Diamond Lesha as well. Oh, can't wait for that day.

7 comments:

The Lively's said...

Well...first off I am really sorry! And if I recall I said it would be a very sad day when your cute little bunny would part from your families life. Your story made me smile just because of our conversation about them the other day. Well I hope the girls will be okay. I'll be waiting to see if Troy caves when the other one dies and your girls are begging for a pet and you get one! :)

smithfamilymoments said...

That is so sad. I'm sorry the girls lost threir little friend. That is part of the reason we don't have pets, because it is too traumatizing when the little buggers die. It sounds like hope rebounded pretty quick though. Thats good news.

Anonymous said...

I can't imagine how my kids would take something like that. They are always in tears that we don't allow them to have any pets, but reading your story reminds me of one of the many reasons for our rule! I love that you started crying in RS - that is too funny!

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh how sad. It breaks my heart to know the girls all cried...including mommy. However, as a BIG pet lover I can truly sympathize with how you feel. Keep your chin up and wiggle your nose. I know...pretty lame

JLJ said...

Are you so sure Stinker is with President Hinckley? Was he THAT good of a bunny?

Death is always sad. Even when it's a little bunny.

Heather said...

I heard all about it in sharing time from Hope (it was sad, but Hope is really glad the other one is still around):) You will have to explain the part about the diaper though because I am still a little confused:)

Tara said...

What a great tribute to stinker I am sure he or she is missing the girls as much as they miss him or her!!