Sunday, December 9, 2007

The Naughty List

After watching the movie "ELF" for the 412th time my girls (and particularly) Hope have become obsessed with who and how one finds themselves on Santa's NAUGHTY LIST. Take, for example, a recent conversation between Hope, Hallee, and I.

Hallee: "Hope - you are on the naughty list!"
Hope: "No, I'm not! MOM! Am I on the naughty list?"
Me: (Picking up the play cell phone sitting on the couch) " Hmmmm," I say with great concern. "I better call Santa and find out!" I dial the number and have an interesting conversation with Santa as my three year old watches in horror. I hang up. "Well, he says you better watch out, and not cry because you might end up on the naughty list." I pleasantly hang up the phone confident that I have just bought myself a few days of good behavior.
Hope: (Grabs the phone and dials furiously. Tears start running down her face.) " HELLO, SANTA? I AM GOING TO SPANK YOUR BOTTOM AND PUT YOU IN TIME OUT IF YOU PUT ME ON THE NAUGHTY LIST!" Slams the phone down and starts to sob.

Well....hmmmm....so much for that idea.

2 comments:

Brooke said...

I know it may not be the best parenting tactic, but we really love the Santa leverage that comes this time of year. The "I'm going to call Santa!" threat is great, though I see it may not work for your firecracker Hope! That makes me laugh!!!!!!!!!! She's so cute!

Evecall said...

This is truly backfiring on us right now, with more fights about who is on the naughty list and more temper tantrums trying to convince us he is on the nice list! I think they are all getting coal this year and maybe this leverage will work better for us next year!