Monday, October 18, 2010

WARNING: Jami's on her soapbox!!!!

Alright. I'm giving you a fair warning. This is gonna get ugly. If you want to leave I'd suggest doing it now. Cause I'm venting.....

For the past three years now I have witnessed the same tragedy occur year after year. Each year I compose an amazing post in my head where I just lay it all out there but each year I coward out of for fear of stepping on someones toes. Not this year folks. I'm feeling a bit feisty!

You don't have to look far to find a list of complaints against public education. Some valid. Some not so much. I hear parents talk about how their child deserves better than public ed and that we are selling ourselves short by sending them to public schools in our neighborhoods. And you know what. Some (not all) but some days I agree. And guess who I am placing the blame on? THE PARENTS. Not the administration. Not the government. Not finances. Parents. {Ok. Easy. Someone might start attacking and just remember I'm on a rampage right now. We could discuss these points and their actual responsibly at a later date. Right now I'm on a different soapbox.}

When Hallee was in Kindergarten parental involvement was overwhelming. EVERYONE wanted to be involved and make sure their babies were being taken care of. By 1st grade they are over it. Now their kids can be someone elses problem. I have been the room parent or co-room parent for Hallee's classes for the past three years. And each year I am shocked by the lack of parental involvement. Last year I had a total of THREE moms who were willing to volunteer in the class. THREE out of 28 children. Are you kidding me???? I practically had to beg and plead for them to help. This year seems a little bit better with a handful of moms willing to step up but with a class of 26 I can't say I am overly impressed.

Now I know some actually have valid excuses. They work full time or have a small baby at home. But you know what. You don't get off that easy. Where there is a will there is a way. If you can't volunteer during school hours there are always things that can be done at home or supplies that can be donated. And I don't buy the excuse that you don't have a babysitter or are too busy. Have you seen my schedule lately?

It makes me angry but it also makes me sad. Sad for the students. I wish every parent would volunteer at least once and see the difference it makes not only in the classroom but with their own child. The kids light up when their parent walks in the door. They instantly become the most popular kid in the class because their mom is there. (Pretty sure that isn't going to last long. Better take advantage of it while you can). Parents in the room instantly cuts down on behavior problems. Teachers can spend more one on one time with struggling students. It is an amazing insight into your own child's personality and the school dynamics. Teachers become more accountable. School secretaries and administration get to know you and your child and consciously or not take a little extra time and care when it comes to your child. The list goes on and on.

My recent outrage has been spurred on by the Halloween Carnival coming up this week. It is a PTA fundraiser. In fact it is the only fundraiser of the year. The kids love it and it is a perfect family outing. But we always have the issue of volunteers. They send home countless notes asking for volunteers and yet we always come up short. For the past two years I have created a booth and for the past two years I have not been able to fill up all five shifts necessary. This is after sending home two notes to all the parents in Hallee's class, sending out a text message to just about everyone I know, and making personal phone calls to a dozen or so people. Guess how many people I got... TWO. Nope. Not kidding. TWO stinking people.

Believe me. More than those two families will be at the carnival. But there will always be those who are content to come and enjoy all the festivities with their children never once realizing the time and energy that a select few put in to pull off such and event. My sister's school actually did away with their school carnival for over ten years due to lack of parental involvement. How sad is that.

Ok. Glad I got that off my chest. And I hope I didn't offend anyone in the process. But seriously people the next time you start ragging on public education why don't you stop and ask yourself if YOU are part of the problem. And then try to be part of the solution. Volunteer! Be active in your child's school and classroom. I promise it makes a difference!!!

{And PS - did you know that in most charter schools parents are REQUIRED to put in a certain amount of hours at the school. Interesting tidbit hey?}

10 comments:

Adree said...

AMEN SISTA!!! FYI- the charter school that I once looked at for Adi you had to put in a MINIMUM of 2 hrs EVERY week to get you child into the school.

soccerfamily said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JLJ said...

I agree and disagree. I agree that parents involvement in their child's education is paramount to any amount of government funding or programs. If parents realized that the education of their child was their own responsibility and not the school's I think everything would fall in place. Children would be better prepared, homework would be done, behavior or developmental issues would be coordinated between parent and teacher. I think parents spending time in their child's school, either helping in the classroom or doing small jobs that support the teacher's academic objectives is terribly important. And you are right about the message it sends to administrators, teachers and even the child, when a parent shows up at school often. It tells them all that the parent cares, is watching and is willing to pull some weight to make their child's education be the best it can be.

What I disagree with is that parents have an obligation to help with things like classroom parties, field trips, fundraisers etc. With the exception of certain educational field trips, those things are entirely extracurricular. Children are not benefitting educationally from those activities and I don't think they fall under the parents obligation to educate their child. As much as I like school being fun, I honestly consider keeping my kids home on wasted days, days that are entirely (or mostly) devoted to fun stuff. I understand that fun things can be used as an incentive for effort or good behavior and this is a good thing in moderation.

So far I have supported classroom parties and I'm at about 90% on field trip attendance. I choose to help in these ways because I want to be with my kids as much as possible, not because I think it's my obligation.

I love a good soapbox rant! Way to stir the pot Jami!!

Jami said...

JL -

Interesting point. Although I'm not completeley convinced. I'm all about work hard/play hard. (Although a one hour school party probably does not fall under the play hard category). WHile these parties and field trips are absolutely NOT necessary to one's education I DO think they serve a purpose. If nothing else than to give children a little break in the routine, have something to look forward to, create a positive school climate, reward students, and just provide opportunities for parents/teachers/and school to collaborate.

Even corporate business take time now and then to celebrate holidays, birthdays or reward their employees with outside opportunities/experiences.

I look at Hallee's schedule some days and cringe. THe poor girl goes from school from 9-4. COmes home and does homework from 5-6. She has a half hour to "play" before she has to eat dinner and get ready for dancing. She dances for two hours, comes home, showers, reads for 20 minutes and goes to bed. (Keep in mind my child participates in only ONE extra curricular activity right now). If she gets to have a one hour party at school - YEAH for her. She deserves it!!

As for the carnival. It is a fundraiser for the PTA. It can ONLY function with parental involvement. It puts money back into our schools. Yes, that money may help do teacher appreciation, class parties, field trips and etc but it all goes back to what I was saying about the school dynamics. I don't know about ALL schools but I am fairly certain that even private and charter schools also have these "down" days and extra curricular activites.

Oh I miss you. I love having a TWO sided conversation. Thanks for participating :)

jgalke said...

Alright Jami - I'm in. Yes, I agree with most of your argument. Parental involvement is key to a child's education and general success in life & I LOVE a good school party. It was always my favorite when my mom was the one coming to class to help out. I was always proud that she was mine.
I read a blog that I love and here is an extremely long quote from her:
"Smart mothers say NO often and without GUILT. That means putting the happiness and well being of yourself and your family FIRST- NOT school, friends, sports, neighbors or extended family. You have the rest of your life to do all the things you cannot do right now...trust me, they'll all be there and they'll all ask in one or two or five years. Every one's threshold for commitments is different, and if you don't know yours, you'll find out...it's called STRESS...and it rears its head in the form of yelling, impatience, resentment and exhaustion. Get rid of the guilt of saying NO (without rambling explanations) and your life and your family will function so much better."

You are one of the smartest mothers I know and your threshold for commitment is always way higher than mine. I admire you and I love a good blog discussion.
Jessica
www.memoriesoncloverlane.blogspot.com

Jami said...

Jessica,

Point well taken. My life would be a lot less stressful if I would just learn how to say NO sometimes. Just not at my childrens expense :-).

Heather said...

I agree with everything!! In Carlie's school you have to (you are asked) to volunteer 20 hours per family. I did all of those 20 hours by myself last year!!! It is sad to see how only a handful of people are always the same ones doing everything!! One of the things I helped with last year was the book fair (twice a year and I helped at both). Last year I was one of the two people that showed up!! They only ask 3 people to help each day over a 2 day period (so 6 people out of 750 students). This year I am unable to help because of schedule conflicts and a milliion emails have been sent home asking for help because apparently no one will volunteer!! There has to be someone else besides me that could do it you would think??!!

jgalke said...

But nothing will ever get done if you start saying no - I'm scared for that day.:) You are amazing and do a great job of juggling lots of responsibilities & generally making the world happier & lots more fun. Can I come to Hallee's sleepover????

Tara said...

Well Jami do you feel better? You are so good at expressing what you feel that is a great quality my friend!

Anonymous said...

I think most good parents would agree that education is a top priority for them when it comes to their children. Generally speaking education is the key to opportunity in this world. It often times becomes the great economic seperator, and if for no other reason than that should be taken seriously. I agree with you that parents should be willing to make some sacrifices to volunteer at their children's school for all of the positive reasons you mentioned; however, I think more important than that is what parents do in their homes to reinforce the value and importance of education. If our children see us place a higher value on other activities then they will place a higher value on them as well. This can become difficult to balance as we encourage our children to explore many things (e.g. sports, dance, music, etc.) and discover what they are good at and then encourage them to pursue it with passion. That being said...as we make every effort to achieve the right balance with our children (they're all unique) it is our own attitude about education that will most shape our children's dedication and approach to their own education.

Thanks for your thoughts and sparking this conversation.