Sunday, October 31, 2010

Bye-Bye bankie!!

Caymbree was spoiled rotten with blankets when she was born. They came in all shapes, sizes and colors with a variety of textures and materials to pick from. Interestingly enough from the time she could express an interest she always favored this one. By the time her first birthday came around she dismissed any and ALL other blankets and no other options were acceptable. Washing the dang thing required careful planning and thought because she would not willingly give it up.

For the past year I have purchased a few other blankets with similar colors and textures hoping she would let me swap them out. Silly me. Those blankets now belong to her sisters. In the past few months I have become increasingly annoyed by the dirt and stains that permanently adorn the blanket. Caymbree and I have had a weekly discussion about saying "bye-bye to the bankie". She has not been thrilled.

Last week I took her with me to a little boutique and when we walked in she spotted this beauty...


...and all the stars aligned, the angels sang, and little C proudly claimed this magnificent piece of art as her very own. I was hesitant that I would be throwing my money away once she realized the significance of her decision so I had her carry it around with her while I shopped and we discussed the matter in detail. She agreed to throwing her old blankie away if I bought it. I was desperate and took the plunge. The purchase was made, we walked out to the car where she said her final good-bye to her faithful friend and I (pretended) to throw it out the window. So long bankie!
Only once during the drive home did she feel any sense of doubt when she timidly proclaimed that her new blankie did not have a tag like her other one. (She used to hold on to the tag to fall asleep). I told her I would sew a tag onto her new one if she wanted and all was well once again. And she has never turned back since.

2 comments:

smithfamilymoments said...

It is always so sad to me when a milestone comes and goes. Giving away a blankie is a HUGE Milestone!! There must be something with that blankie because Ava loved hers that was exactly the same and her little friend Sophie cannot do without hers either. Funny!

Josie said...

I can attest to all of that because I was a witness...and yes...the way she asked for her old one back was very timid. But sweet. Glad it worked out!