Monday, July 13, 2009

Smith Family Reunion 2009

Another great year at the cabin. So many memories. So much fun.

My favorite part about the cabin is watching the second generation cousins recreate the same memories I had as a child. This year we showed the kids where we played "fort" when we were growing up and they took right to it. I think they spent pretty much every waking hour building their own "fort" in the exact same spot.
Caymbree is the worlds biggest scaredy cat so I was sure she was going to be terrified of the fireworks and sparklers. But she surprised us all when she LOVED the sparklers and kept going back for more. Maybe this prepared her a little for the fireworks because she even thought they were pretty cool. Each night we had a theme. My favorites were Western Night, Luau and, Fiesta night complete with a pinata for the kids.
And the unexpected theme for the year was DANCING. My cousin Jeff had the top 100 hits of each year from 1955 up to present day. We would crank up the music and DANCE!!! We covered all the basics from disco, rock, country, pop and hip hop.
Hallee and I taught all the the women and girls the HoeDown Throw Down by Hannah Montana and Krissy taught us a few dance moves in honor of Michael Jackson. Tricia taught us a western swing dance and the kids did their annual dance performance. Ya... WE can dance!!! It was a blast as always and I will forever be grateful for the fun and crazy family I belong to. I was reminded where we get our spunk from when my 70 something year old Grandma on oxygen suggested all the women go skinny dipping in the freezing cold pool while the men were golfing. The best part about it is that up until about 10 years ago she really would have done it!!

6 comments:

Joni said...

Yep, we have a crazy fun family! I, too, am so grateful that we still get together often. I truly feel bad for families that don't really know each other (and sometimes that includes their own siblings). We are lucky!

The Lively's said...

What a fun family reunion! I loved reunions as a kid.

Tara said...

Great pictures, it looks like a blast, you have such a fun family!!!

Kelli said...

What a fun family! Love all the theme days and the dancing lessons! I'n with you - I love it when our kids and their cousins recreate our childhood memories. So much fun!

Unknown said...

Okay, I need you to give me instructions on how to do your page of pictures. That could save me a lot of time. Email me if you could. You are my designated mentor!:-}

Cathy said...

Spending the week at the cabin with our family is the highlight of the summer each year. We have such a wonderful extended family and I too am grateful that even the next generation is growing up knowing their cousins and second cousins and making such wonderful memories. It was a blast!!!
Mom