Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Cabin Fun


I think we look forward to this week almost more than Christmas itself. It's a tradition that's been around since before I was even born. It's hard to explain. To some it even sounds crazy. But a week up at our cabin in Logan Canyon with all of my cousins is truly one of those things I hope we never stop doing.

This year was a little unique and has been lovingly labeled as the year of the "FIERCE" FLU EPIDEMIC. Camp was invaded by a yucky and super contagious flu bug that took out 3/4th of the population throughout the week. It seemed like every day someone else would bite the dust. Even my poor grandparents got it. Everyone recovered and we didn't let it affect the our fun.

People often ask what we do in the canyon for a week and the answer is quite simple. NOTHING. Now, how many vacations can you say that. We sit around, do a whole lot of gabbing, play games and we scrapbook. The guys fish, go four wheeling, and always manage to get in a golf game here and there. Oh, ya....WE EAT. And I'm pretty sure we never stop. And then we watch our kids recreate the memories that we (as cousins) had growing up. Things like putting on little performances, collecting snails, going for hikes, playing on the swings, and etc. The only thing that was missing this year is hearing my Grandma Smith sing "Oh, what a beautiful morning, Oh what a beautiful day..." at the top of her lungs each and every morning.

I'm so grateful to have a time and place that we can go create such wonderful memories with my family each and every year. I cherish the fact that I still have a great relationship with my cousins and we still can get together as friends. I think I took this for granted until I got older and realized how rare it is to stay this close and do as many things together as we still do. I'm grateful for my grandparents who have established such fun traditions and opportunities that allow us to still get together. SO, Thank you, thank you, thank you.


9 comments:

Adree said...

Looks like a good time as usual. I'm just glad I didn't get the up chucks.

Joni said...

Isn't it funny how we all have the same thoughts on the cabin. I wished I could have been up there longer, especially for the hula hoop contest. By the way, I need access to everybody elses' blog. Can you help me out with that?

BigEd said...

I love those types of vacations - the ones that you don't need another vacation after.

Heather said...

That sounds like it was so much fun! It is nice to not have to worry about anything for a week! I love the time out pictures! That is one thing that doesn't change when you go on vacation!! By the way Lance would rather have an ATV also but there is no way the kids are riding on it with him (he can get a little crazy himself)!!

Kelli said...

Those are the BEST vacations. Sounds so fun and relaxing. Sorry about the flu!

Jeanette said...

So glad we got to see you and your cute family over the weekend. It is always so much fun to be able to just sit and visit. Your girls are darling! How do I invite you and Adree to my blog?

Tara said...

Jami looks like you had a blast, the pictures are great. That one of Troy with the dirt on his face is creepy it doesn't look like him!!

Larsen's! said...

My kids just said how much they missed being able to be up there with you and your kids this year. We had so much fun last summer over the 4th being able to be there with you and all the Smith's. The Smith cabin has actually been one of my kid's fondest memories as well...thank you to all of you for including us when we've been around...we love Gma and Gpa Smith. Looks like you all had a great time!

Post-it Notes said...

Sounds like so much fun! Too bad everyone got sick but Im still glad that everyone had a fun time.