Monday, December 7, 2009

THE BIG 5!

Is there any such thing as a birthday anymore? It seems to me that they are turning more into birthweeks or birthmonths. Hope's birthday celebration would definitely fall into the latter categories. It seems like she started receiving birthday cards and presents in the mail a good week and a half before her big day. She was ELATED to have mail addressed to her!

One of her good friends was going to be out of town for her birthday party so we had a little sleepover with Elle and Grace on the actual day of her birthday.

A week later we had her birthday party. Since the girl is obsessed with gum (and you have no idea how intense this obsession is) I decided to use it as the theme of the party. Troy kept telling me to "just keep it simple." Simple? I'm sorry. I'm not familiar with that term.




We played "Bubble Gum, Bubble Gum, in a dish..."

I taught them the "Bazoka, Zooka, Bubble Gum" song and dance...

We played "Find the gumballs"....
Did a little Hullabaloo (I know it's not bubble gum related but give me a break. I've gotta keep nine five year olds entertained for two hours :)

And what party would be complete without a pinata! I wish you could hear the sarcasm in my voice right now. I hate pinatas. Okay. That's a little too strong but seriously it's a death wish. I am a nervous wreck the entire time that someone is going to go home with a few less teeth. I tried to convince Hope not to do one this year but she wouldn't let it go. I even told her I couldn't find one (hey, it's true. One store didn't have any so that counts right?) She voiced her concerns to Grandma Susu in Arizona who generously offered to ship one right out to us. I had to remind her of the secret "mom" code. :) But ya. Hope got the dang pinata. And the kids went home with an assortment of gum. I'm sure their parents were thrilled!

Not only did they get gum from the pinata but they each took home their very own gumball machine and a bag full of gumballs. I know. I'm a bad bad friend. Sorry to all of you who have been digging gum out of your carpet for the past few weeks.
And major props to Troy who was assigned the task of decorating the birthday cake. Not too bad hey?

Happy FIFTH birthday Hopers!! We love your spunk and sass and your ability to make us laugh at ALL TIMES!! You are one of a kind and we love you to pieces!

2 comments:

Heather said...

Happy Birthday Hope!! I don't think I know anyone else that obsessed with gum:)

Post-it Notes said...

love the cake... how darling! Looks like a fun party