Sunday, October 5, 2008

Just in time

One word. ECONOMY. Give anyone else a serious stomachache? It's been on my mind a lot lately. How could it not. It's everywhere!!! And while I feel somewhat secure in my own little life I can't help but feel a little sense of urgency. Urgency to update my food storage. Urgency to pinch my pennies and save for a rainy day. Urgency to take a break from finishing the basement (bummer), and to make sure all my ducks are in a row. And I hate to admit it but along with that urgency comes the fear. Fear of the unknown. What lies ahead? I'm watching it effect people all around me. Carmax just laid off 600 employees nationwide last week. Houses keep popping up for sale in my neighborhood. One of Hallee's cute little friends just moved in effort to downsize. I guess it only makes sense to be a little scared.



With it constantly on my mind Elder Jeffrey R. Hollands talk in General Conference yesterday felt like it was directed straight at me. I loved it. My favorite quote was towards the end when he said...



"The latter days are not a time to fear and tremble. They are a time to be believing and live our covenants. The Lord will fight our battles, our children's battles and their children's battles.... and what does he ask of us in return? We are asked to SEARCH DILIGENTLY, PRAY ALWAYS and BE BELIEVING.



It was just in time...and just for me.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Wonderful message and perfect timing.

jgalke said...

Thanks Jami - I too was getting panicky for no particular reason. You always make me feel better.

Joni said...

You're right. It is a little scary, but my mom and I both noticed how most of the talks this weekend were about not getting discouraged and to be strong and faithful. Isn't it great that we know we have a living prophet and apostles who can guide us in these latter days?!

Tara said...

Oh how I love General conference it is so uplifting and you are right it came at the perfect time.

Tara Williams said...

Amen, Sister! I have been feeling the exact same way. Troy and I are opposites....when we were younger, he was the worrier and I was like "whatever!". But I've noticed that we've kind of switched roles as we've gotten older. If something's bothering him, he just puts it out of his mind and roles with the flow...while I tend to give myself ulcers!! I was also uplifted this weekend. Especially by Pre Monson's closing remarks about enjoying TODAY and not worrying about tomorrow. When he finished, I was crying and told Russ that talk must have been written for me. I love the gospel!

Anonymous said...

I loved this talk! My favorite! I loved when he talked about angels amoung us. Both mortal and immortal. Don't worry about playgroup. I got an e-mail from Britni that night...she'll do great.

Post-it Notes said...

I needed this... thanks!

Tristen said...

I think that was one of the only talks that I actually heard without screaming children interrupting. It was fantastic. I even remembered that quote - that's amazing for me - especially lately.

Jenn said...

I really couldn't figure out who Tara was...that makes me laugh. I've done that before signed in as my sister/husband. Glad to know who was really talking to me:)

I liked this little post as well. It's no wonder the church leaders have been preaching about being prepared for so long! I'm glad you posted that quote. It's really something we'll all need to read often because things really have gotten scary.

Thanks again for the tips! (Tara)

Lindsay said...

Great message Jami! I love your enrichment activity! So cute! I just got called to be the assistant enrichment leader & I thought of you! I'll have to talk to you to get some ideas! Also we are headed to Disneyland on Wednesday. Any advice? We are taking all 4, but my mom & dad are coming so we will have a 1 on 1 situation. We are only doing Disneyland & California Adventures because we went to Sea World last year. Did you do the Princess lunch? I think we are going to go do that. What do you think?

JLJ said...

Yes. I'm nervous too. At least the houses on your street are for sale. The houses on our street are getting repossessed. And Spouse's firm just laid off 11 employees too. I must admit, I've been bulk buying for a couple of weeks now. We are busting at the seams with Costco sized boxes of everything. I loved that talk too. There were many at conference with that same theme.

But I'm still stockpiling.