Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Alter Ego


Recently while delegating assignments I had a woman tell me "no, I'm too busy. I just can't do it." And while I nodded sympathetically to her list of reasons, I couldn't help but have a Lizzie McGuire moment. You know. The one where the cartoon version alter ego of yourself pops out and says everything you wish you could say but are too polite to actually do so. Anyway... the conversation went something like this...
"Oh ya, let's compare schedules. Currently in my duties as second councilor in the Relief Society I am attending meetings, doing weekly visits, finalizing and collecting money for Super Saturday, in the process of planning the Christmas enrichment, and meeting and overseeing the committee. On top of that, I am also serving as the VP of the Utah Judges Association and receive and transmit weekly e-mails, gather paperwork, make name badges, and sign-up sheets in preparation for our next big workshop the first in November. If that is not enough I am also preparing for my own drill team competition the first of December. Add to that volunteering in Hallee's school, helping out with the school carnival and classroom Halloween party. Then you can add the craft project I decided to make and sale at my competition. Hope's birthday is just around the corner and as it will be her first friend birthday party it will require some thought and preparation. Christmas and Hallee's birthday are looming out there as well. With two birthday's and Christmas in the wings I better substitute teach once a week to earn a little cash. Oh, ya. I also am in the middle of publishing my blog in hope to have it in time for Christmas." All the while I am hand on hip, head bobb'n, finger waving, just to make my point.
Then I take a deep breath, the alter poofs into thin air, I smile and say I understand, tell her I will find someone else (me, of course), and tell her not to worry about it. However, as the days have passed I have managed to find little admiration. At least she had the ability to say NO. Maybe I should try it sometime.

13 comments:

Adree said...

At least you have an REAL list of things to do. I'm not sure were all my time goes, all I know is that I have not time.

Joni said...

I know how you feel. I have a teacher (primary) who always tells me that her calling is just too demanding and "needs" to be released and I always want to ask her if she wants my calling. It definately makes me appreciate what others do!

Tara Williams said...

Ha!! Been there...well, I am there. Although, I have learned to say "no"...kind of. I've recently realized that my busy life tends to take a toll on my kids so I have began making a mental (and sometimes physical) list of all the things I HAVE to do and all the things I WANT to do. I then think of Elder Bednar's talk, and rate the list as "Good" "Better" "Best" and remove some items. Even though, I end up losing some WANTs, I tend to sleep better when I simplify. For now, that is. :)

Post-it Notes said...

Love this post. I know that we all have our own "Lizzie McGuire" moments... 100% true. Wish I was closer and I would help you!

JLJ said...

I love this. Sometimes it is really hard to feel compassionate when someone is claiming they are too busy. When I was the compassionate service leader, about three months after I had #3, we had a string of babies, and funerals and we had pretty much tapped every available woman in the ward to help. (Keep in mind I had been making at least one meal a week, and several pans of funeral potatoes for many weeks). I called a sister in our ward who had not helped yet. Her answer was, (in a huffy voice), "Um, ya know, I have a 1 year old." That was her answer. Like I should totally understand how having ONE child should make it impossible to help. I wanted so badly to list the women in the ward with many more children and more responsibilities who had been helping, happily.

Ok, now I'm turning this into my own vent session. Our primary pianist (our ward is the only ward in the US church that has a shortage of piano players) just asked to be released (three weeks before the program) because her calling is too 'demanding.' Seriously?

If I'm sounding too bitter feel free to delete my comment. :)

Brooke Franco said...

I am so sorry! Please call me! I can help! Wow I have it easy. :)

crosbiefamily said...

Amen, girl. You might want to figure out how to say the word no, sometimes it has a nice ring to it! I love ya and can't wait to see you at the Halloween party.

Tara said...

oh so true that is funny I love those parts when it goes to what she actually wanted to say. Well put!

BigEd said...

While there certainly is something to learning to say no, it is my experience that there are simply people who do, and people who don't. Those who do, commendably find time to do just about anything. I'm still not sure which category I fit into, but I'm not sure I would dare say no to you!

Kelli said...

So funny! I know what you mean though. I'm the type that can not tell someone no and I can't help but admire those who can. Bummer for you though!

I didn't know you were still involved in the judging stuff! I so should get back into that. Are you a drill team advisor?

Tara Williams said...

Oooops...that talk was by Elder Oaks, not Elder Bednar. Tee-hee.

The Poulsens said...

Hey Jami! Amen, sister! Why is it we can't say no? Question...how do you get your blogs archived into a book? Help me out when you have a spare second...ha!

394bull said...

Their Celestial accomodations will be trit compared to your Mansion. I think I heard this existence required "gurding up your loins" & "long suffering". I find myself "gritting my teeth" also. Good Job..

Love

Tom & Diane