Sunday, April 3, 2011

Tell me a story...

Hope has a new "thing". I see it as a bedtime stalling tactic. Troy sees it as some great one-on-one time and fully embraces it. Every night she asks him to tell her a story about when he was a kid. And every night he tells her a different story. So while tucking her in the other night she asked me to tell her a story about when I was a kid. My mind went blank. I started panicking. Did I have a pathetic childhood? Why can't I think of anything? Finally I told her the first thing that came to my head. It was a cute little story about my sister and I having sleepovers in her daybed and because the bed was so small we would sleep with our heads on opposite ends. I also told her how I used to make her tickle my back when she wanted to borrow anything of mine. And that's pretty much it. I finish the story. She looks at me and says "huh". Me: "Didn't you like my story?" her: "No, it was good." Me: "So why are looking at me like that?" her: "Well, it's just that dad's stories usually involve him driving something and usually crashing something. Yours just....well it just didn't have anything like that." GO FIGURE! I laughed as I kissed her goodnight but quickly realized I needed to step up my game in the story telling department and I have been racking my brain ever since. Hopefully I have come up with some good ones although most of them still DO NOT involve crashing. I have to admit it's been kind of fun reminiscing with myself about the good old days. And if your lucky I just might share some of them on the blog for preservation purposes. Lucky you!

1 comment:

smithfamilymoments said...

too funny. Wow, hope and jake really do sound so much alike. Jake asks us exactly the same thing pretty much every night. I always feel so bad when I have to tell him I can't think of any stories because my brain by the end of the day is totally fried and not in creative thinking mode. Maybe I should start thinking of some earlier in the day so I have some prepared for on the spot notice. So CUTE!