Thursday, June 11, 2009

TRACKS SMACKS

Most of the time I don't mind TRACK schooling. In fact, sometimes it is actually quite nice and I think I may even prefer it. But every once in a while, OK a better statement would be - "EVERY year at this time" I start to question it. Perhaps it's that I start looking at blogs full of LAST DAY OF SCHOOL celebrations, posts about 3 months of FREEDOM, and lots of pictures of blissful family vacations, pool outings, and barbecues that start to get to me. Perhaps its the fact that I look at my calendar and realize we still have FOUR weeks of school left. And then I get bummed out that our family reunion vacation starts before we are even out of school. And then I realize that by the time we get home from our "vaca" Hallee will only have TWO WEEKS before she starts 2nd grade.

I get even more depressed when I start to think about some of my favorite childhood memories of back to school shopping trips and remember that shopping for back to school clothes in JULY is pretty much POINTLESS.
Ya. Tracks stink sometimes. Like when you don't find out what track your are going to get until JUNE. And then you discover that not only did you NOT get your 1st choice of track but you also didn't get your 2nd or 3rd choice either.
And then I remember that it REALLY doesn't matter all that much. Life goes on. And those three week breaks in the middle of a long school year are absolutely FABULOUS. So we'll get over it. And we just might even manage to sneak in a little bit of SUMMER with a little WATERMELON, SPRINKLERS and even a few BARBECUES here and there EVEN though we are still in school.

3 comments:

soccerfamily said...

I hear ya, Jami! We were on C track here but we only got 2 weeks between school years... and mine was only about a week with all of our "official" teacher workdays before the new year began. I do love having a 2 month summer break now that we're no longer on tracks, but I do sometimes miss those 3 week breaks at odd times of the year:)

Amanda said...

That would be hard. I wouldn't know only because we still have a year before we start school. Zak will go to Kindergarten while we are living here in NH. Here they aren't year around but they have so many snow days that they don't even get out of school until the end of June. So really they only get a month and a half of a break. These people think that the Winters out here are so much worse then Utah's Winters. I don't think so, they seem about the same. I never remember getting a snow day though.

Heather said...

So what track did you end up with?? I have heard of several people that got the ONE track they didn't pick!! What is the point of picking if they are just going to pick for you??!!