Sunday, June 14, 2009

Bargain Anyone???

So after talking about it for the past six months we finally broke down and had a garage sale on Saturday. We had been piling up "stuff" in our garage since last fall and we couldn't wait to clear it out. Troy was all about "making the deal" while I was all about "making a little money." This posed a bit of a challenge. There were numerous times I just had to go in the house. I mean, I wasn't trying to make a fortune but shouldn't memories count for SOMETHING :)

I about passed out when I heard Troy adding up the total to a pile of clothes, a glass entry table and a cute white wooden bench and it came to a whopping $9.00!!! WHAT!!!!!!! I was DYING!! I would have sold the bench for a minimum of $15.00 by itself. We had partnered up with our three neighbors who were all having garage sales at the same time and they about died when they heard what he sold the bench for. I don't think he will EVER live that one down. However, with that said, we sold almost ALL of our stuff and had very little to haul off to the DI when we were done. All thanks to the bargain man.

Hallee and Hope wanted to make a little money and after unsuccessfully trying to convince me to let them sale pretty much EVERYTHING in their room they settled for making cookies to sale instead.


With three other garage sales going on and TONS of neighborhood kids running around it was hard to stay focused. More often than not we found the chairs empty and this sign...

Hallee had a birthday party to go to that afternoon and then that evening we met up with my parents and my brother and his family in Salt Lake. They were staying at the Marriott so we had dinner and then went back to the hotel to swim.

As we were driving home the girls declared that this was one of the best days of their lives. Glad we could help you out with that.

10 comments:

The Dowdy Family said...

Jami I love to read about all your family fun! You have such beautiful girls! I hope that one day we can get together and our kids can play! I was wondering if you could please do me a favor, do you have Julee's e-mail? I would love to get in touch with her and her blog! Thanks for your help, Jessi

Tara said...

Hey that was a very successful garage sale good for you guys. So did Hallee make more money than you?? Fun times with the family!! Love it!

Joni said...

Don't you love how easy kids are to please?! Glad your garage sale was successful. Sometimes I feel like maybe we should have one, and then I realize we're still using all of our stuff (mostly kids stuff and my teaching stuff).

Kelli said...

Man, wish I could have come to the sale! Sounds like a lot of great deals! Hallee's sign is so cute. Looks like a fun day!

Tiffany G said...

Every time we have had a garage sale my goal is to stay in the house. I have a true adversion to it. Last time Jason sold Conner's piggy bank (full of money) he was using for change. The poor kid was 6 and in such hysterics he could hardly get out what had happened. Jason had to chase down the car to get the bank back!

Heather said...

Looks like you had a good turn out!! I bet those cookies made the people keep coming:) We need to have one soon! We have so much stuff to get rid of but last time the people that came just wanted our stuff for FREE!!! So we will see how things go:) We will have to remember what great bagains you have for next time!!!:)

smithfamilymoments said...

Sounds like fun. My favorite is Hallee's sign on her cookies. Hope you did well, garage sells are alot of work.

Tara Williams said...

Oh my gosh! Caymbree reminds me of Izzy in that last picture!! With her hair lighter like that and that same look of excitement and concern...they definately look related!!

Anonymous said...

We missed out on the neighborhood yard sale. I heard everyone made some $$$. We love the pool at the Marriott, hopefully the top was off to enjoy the weather!

Anonymous said...

I just read about your track problems. There are so many Moms that didn't get what they wanted. I think they just through our names in a hat!!