Monday, December 8, 2008

Davis Valley Classic


Six years ago my cousin and I, at the request and input of some of our coach friends, decided to start a drill team competition. We held our first competition at Woods Cross High School and looking back now it was somewhat of a comical disaster. We really didn't have a clue what we were doing. We only had six teams and our "staff" pretty much consisted of us, our husbands and our moms. Our mom's ended up being our door bouncers, the welcoming committee, concession stand workers, and just about everything else. It was during the Christmas holiday and the heat in the building had been turned off. Needless to say, we FROZE!!! At one point we even had to go out to the cars to gather blankets to try and keep our judges warm. Nice hu? The school provided us with three janitors, all of them teenagers who I swear were smoking weed during the competition.

But, we survived!!! And each year we grew (and yes, we switched high schools). This past weekend we held our sixth annual drill team competition at Davis High School. We now have over 25 teams from around the state that compete in our event. Who would have thought it would have turned into this? Troy is amazing and spends two full days in the thick of judges and coaches as my trusty tabulator. I'm sure it is quite enlightening for him :).

I've been judging dance and drill competitions for over ten years but it is fun to be on the other end of things once a year. I'm just glad it's ONLY once a year. I think I am still trying to catch up on my sleep and mentally wind down and it's been over for more than 24 hours!

10 comments:

Daisie said...

Wow! That is such a big deal! What an awesome accomplishment! I am glad you still get to be involved with dancing! I am looking forward to my girls being old enough to take lessons!! I miss it!

smithfamilymoments said...

Jamie-You amaze me how you can juggle doing so many things at once. That is awesome that the competition is going so well. Great job!

Mrs. Budge said...

Jamie it was a great success! And yes, you have come a long way since the first competition. I almost completely forgot about Woods Cross, but you know I didn't think it was a disaster so you pulled it off well. Now you are in the big time and your competition is well respected. Way to go. I know I always hear good things on both ends. I'm just glad you started doing it. And Troy is an amazing man, he is with the sharks and he does a great job! He must really love you! :')

Josie said...

I'm glad it's all over for you and such a success. Thanks for letting us be a part of it :) So is your new heading one of the new family pictures you were talking about? It's adorable!

Kelli said...

I have to say that I'm a little jealous!! I would love to be a part of that world again! That is a big thing to pull off. Congrats!

Anonymous said...

I am glad it went well. Last minute I went to do floor penalties at Timpview. I had a blast! Keep me in mind for next year. Oh - I love your family picture. What cute kids!

Jeanette said...

Congratulations on such a big success! I bet you were exhausted. 25 teams and all the people that come with that is a TON of people to manage. You definately deserve a spa day in the near future. :)

Tara said...

It really was a great success, I can't believe all the work you put into that. You should be proud. It was fun to be there thanks.

JLJ said...

I remember you telling me how at your 1st competition you had your mom run to Costco for concessions! I'm glad things went smoothly this year. You've got another notch on your belt. Way to go!

Jenn said...

Always a relief when it's over! From the comments above I'm thinking that I need to hand my job over to you! One of these times I need to come check it out. It's all coming very soon.