Friday, December 26, 2008

The Christmas Jar


Last year my parents gave us an empty jar and a wonderful book called the "Christmas Jar." They asked us to read it and then start collecting our spare coins in our jar. I'm embarrassed to admit that in all the post Christmas chaos I only read half the book and the jar got shoved on the top shelf. So this year when they asked us how much we had collected I had to walk the hall of shame and admit my mistake.

My mom then told me about a family in her ward that were in need of a few items. Both parents are blind, they have a four year old daughter and the mom is pregnant. My parents have visited multiple times and had witnessed the challenges that come with a young child and two parents that can't see. (Like trying to find your mittens before you go to school.)
On morning while doing Hallee's hair I passed on the stories to Hallee and Hope that my mom had told me about the family. At one point I looked down and Hallee was sobbing. Being the sensitive mother that I am I angrily scold her and tell her that I couldn't possibly be hurting her hair. (In my pathetic defense - tears are not uncommon while doing hair.). She then told me that it wasn't about her hair but that she felt so sad for this family and especially the little girl.
I asked them if they wanted to give some of their allowance to buy some Christmas presents for her and both of them hurried off to their rooms to collect some money. Hope came back with ONE PENNY. I asked her if she wanted to give a little bit more and she said, "no, this is good."

Hallee came back with her ENTIRE piggy bank and said she wanted to give it all. When Hope saw her generosity she went back to her room and came back with one penny, one dime, one nickel and one quarter and beaming from her own version of generosity. We added our money to the collection of other family members and they set off to do some shopping.

When we went to Logan we were able to deliver the Christmas gifts to the family. The little girl was SO gracious and just kept saying "Merry Christmas!" and "Oh, thank you!" Allowing my children to witness this special moment was a gift I hope they always remember and truly allowed the spirit of Christmas to be felt.
And just in case you were wondering....the Christmas jar already had a few coins in it for next year. :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a wonderful story. Hallee is so sensitive. She reminds me of my own little girl that always believed that if there was an earthquake in Bangladesh.....some how it was due to her lack of prayers. I believe Heavenly Father placed these special and sensitive angels on earth to remind us to be better neighbors, friends and parents. Thank you Hallee!

Heather said...

That is a wonderful tradition! We need to come up with something like that to teach our kids that Christmas isn't just about getting presents!!!

smithfamilymoments said...

Oh that is so sweet! You know me, I am sitting here in tears. Thanks a lot. Hallee is seriously such a sweet little soul. I told Olivia how impressed I was with how Hallee shared all of her tickets with hear at her party, because she didn't want her friends to be sad. What a sweetheart

slap said...

I love that book!!! What a great story about your girls. Hopefully they'll never forget that experience!!

Tara Williams said...

You made me cry!! I think I'm gonna have to read that book!

394bull said...

Wow, Hallee and Hope hold true to form. Hallee is Human Resources & Hope is a bottom-line administrative consultant. Cambree has been a shining example of TOLERANCE AND LOVE up until now. But as you say, she is blossoming into her own person lately. It will be fun to watch her merge with Hallee and Hope in sisterdom. Thank you for sharing once again.
Tom & Diane