Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Christmas 2011

Ever since we have moved to Riverton we have had the same Christmas routine. We head to Logan the day a few days before so that we can enjoy the Smith family Christmas Eve party but then we make the 1 1/2 hour trek home late that night so that we can have Christmas morning at our own house. This year however, the Christmas eve party was going to be about an hour drive up Logan Canyon which would make our drive home in the middle of the night even longer. My my mom suggested the idea of having both my sister and I with our families do Christmas at her house this year. At first all I could think of is the amount of work it would take to pull that off but the more I thought about it the more I liked it. Adree has not done Christmas in Logan for the past six or seven years so it sounded kind of fun to be all together for once. Troy was a bit reluctant (as was I) simply because we have come to cherish our quiet Christmas mornings with our kids and the thought of all the chaos and hauling everything to Logan was less than appealing. But, it didn't take long for us to climb on board with the plan and began loading our car floor to ceiling with our Christmas paraphernalia.

It turned out to be a wonderful Christmas and all of our fears or apprehensions were for nothing. It couldn't have gone smoother. In fact when I asked Hope what her favorite gift was for Christmas she said, "My I-touch! No, wait. My favorite gift was getting to spend Christmas with all my cousins and family." How cute is that!

Since Christmas was on a Sunday we started our morning by attending a wonderful Sacrament meeting at my parents ward. We thought the kids would be going crazy about having to wait to open their presents but they didn't even make a peep about it.

Grandpa Tom and Grandma Diane joined us after church for the unveiling of the presents. I had to take this picture because I ended up having to wrap all our presents once we got there so I recruited my sister and dad's help. I had three coordinating papers and tried to give each girl a few of each pattern. You can imagine their reactions. My dad could not understand why he couldn't add whatever paper he wanted and kept trying to be "helpful" by adding new patterns to the mix. I know it's crazy but back me up here - look how fun and festive it looks!



A few of Hope's favorite gifts this year: Pogo-Stick, I-touch 4th gen, Orbeez


Caymbree's favorites: This "American Girl Doll" (which it is so NOT but no matter how many times I tell her that she still insists that it is.), an I-touch, and an chalk/white board easel.


Hallee's favorites: A ripstick, I-touch 4th gen, and donut maker







After opening our gifts the rest of the clan came over for our traditional Christmas breakfast of egg casserole, breakfast cake and crepes. So so yummy!

We then spent the rest of the day hanging out, playing on my dad's new ping pong table (our gift to him), watching movies, dancing with the Just Dance Wii game, and eating ourselves sick.
The kids were in heaven getting to hang out with their cousins all day.


(My parents gave all the grandkids bathrobes instead of pj's this year. The kids loved them!)






It was such a fun Christmas and we felt truly blessed!

4 comments:

Heather said...

How fun not having to rush home and just being able to spend time with family!!

slap said...

fun...Christmas is always great...we always rush home too so that we can have Christmas @ home, and we LOVE those quiet Christmas mornings!! Our girls also didn't complain about waiting till church was done to open presents!! they actually liked going, and I think it'd be nice to go every Christmas, it was great to enjoy the Spirit on that day!!

We didn't get to SLC for the lights this year :( we usually do, but too many school productions etc!!

Tara Williams said...

I'm so glad you guys got to spend Christmas Day all together. Dad said it was quite an amazing feat to behold. He thinks your Mom is like THE entertainment goddess of all time.

JLJ said...

Looks like a happy time! I love that your dad was perplexed by your need to coordinate the wrapping paper.